Office tower or hotel in Portillo perimeter
A view of the Almozara development
node, upper plaza (right); lower
(left),with the park in the background
One of the main objectives of the Milla Digital Project is: “to convert Zaragoza into a referent for New Technologies, taking advantage of the urban development use destined for tertiary sector in the land of the area around the train station”. This general objective is divided into three individual objectives, which are:
a) Support the technological innovation and diversification of the economy of Zaragoza.
- Achieve diversification of the local economy by implementing companies with knowledge-based activities and contributing to the development of an innovative and expansive business fabric
- Harness national and foreign company headquarters by optimising the competitive advantage represented by the proximity to the high-speed train, the supply of quality soil at an attractive price, the existence of highly-qualified manpower and an environment that will foster business excellence, technological development, high-level training and the generation and permanent exchange of knowledge
- Foster the location in Zaragoza of national and international reference centres in the field of research, applied technology, higher training and advanced services for companies
- Create a cluster of professional innovation and creativity where companies and training centres and R&D will mutually enrich each other with their nearness and interrelation
b) Push forward the social dissemination of New Technologies.
- Develop a community of residents that will have ordinary access to the most advanced technologies in domotics, communications and environment and which, due to its dimensions, will become an ideal scenario for large-scale pilot trials of technologies and communication products
- Be a showcase for the model of city proposed by the new ways of living, learning and working in the Knowledge-based Society
c) Reinforce the prominence of the city.
- Constitute a national and European reference that will increase the international projection of Zaragoza as an innovative city
- Create a public space for the 21st century
- Develop a “technological urban development” project that will become a national and European reference and that will increase the international projection of Zaragoza as an innovative city
To satisfy these objectives and to favour the establishment of companies in the Milla Digital Zone, Zaragoza City Council will create the necessary instruments to coordinate the commercial promotion activities of this area. The individual ordinances of the two areas “AC19/1 – Portillo” and “AC44/2 Delicias Station” establish the conditions for use of the office buildings:
- Art. 3.2.4.- Conditions for use: At least 20 percent of the built-on surface area that is counted for building purposes will be destined to activities related to new information and communication technologies, or technologies which, in other economic sectors, are related to research, design, edition, culture, multimedia activity, database management and knowledge
AVE or high-speed train Station Area:
- (Blocks 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 y 13): Art. 8.1.2 and 8.2.1. At least 20 percent of the built-on surface area of each block that is counted for building purposes, will be destined to activities related to new information and communication technologies, or technologies which, in other economic sectors, are related to research, design, edition, culture, multimedia activity, database management and knowledge
- (Block 7): Article 8.3.3. In the event that the development of the Milla Digital programme and the management of the areas G44-2 and G-19-1 advise reserving this block for tertiary activities specifically related to it, the detailed study will also resolve the subsequent conditions, which for the moment, and for information purposes, are summed up in the following points:
- Reserve of the necessary surface area to locate companies related to telecommunications, telematic services, energy, consumer electronics and similar sectors
- Reserve of about 1,000 square metres for the location of newly-created companies
- Reserve of surface area for drop-in centres, for companies that do not have a significant presence in Zaragoza, where any employees of the owner company may work, on reserve; these centres must have a common infrastructure shared with other drop-in centres (photocopiers, printers…) and with basic permanent services (switchboard, cafeteria, secretary…)
- Creation of differentiated environments for different work systems and open spaces that will reduce the isolation of the individual floors
- Fitting out of common spaces that will promote dialogue, co-existence and informal information exchange (restaurant, gymnasium, shared training centre…)
- Reserve of surface area for a new technology demonstration centre, which will include presentation halls and diaphanous spaces, with possibility of establishing compartments and divisions
- Reserve for collaboration centres between the University of Zaragoza, its students and innovative companies installed in Milla Digital (infrastructures, exchange forums…)
- In the event that hotel use is contemplated as part of the uses developed in the tower, this will be adapted to the specific needs of professionals insofar as both the design and facilities of the rooms and the shared infrastructure (meeting rooms, video-conference, sports…) are concerned
The total constructible surface areas for tertiary use of these blocks is 214.040 m2. If the percentage of 20% is applied to it, this will represent 42.808 m2 for uses related to new technologies.